Saturday, November 3, 2007

Different Synonyms for ?To See?

http://a4esl.org/podcasts/

The second podcast I have listened is Different Synonyms for? To See? In this podcast two people - Steve and Jill discuss the verb ‘to see’ and its many synonyms and usages. This podcast is not so interesting and enjoyable like the first, but it is informative and very useful. Because Steve is explaining that ‘to see’ have many meanings. For example, I see a tree. We look out the window. You watch TV. Looking is more the action. You could look, but you could not see or observe. Than you watching, you may not to see. Glance – it is than we look at something quikly.Glance is almost hidden, indirect. Than you look at something long you staring. Than you looking through something you peering. View is more a vision. Than we pay attention we noticed. The rate of speaking was slow, but was difficult, because the level of English was advanced and it was explained how to use ‘to see’ grammatically correct. It is interesting that one word can have so many synonyms! The speaker‘s accent was British, very clear. Despite this fact, I have listened 3 times to understand and remember everything what was mentioned. I have to use a dictionary to detect what means peer or observe. Again I can say that it is difficult to understand authentic speech therefore I need more practice to improve my listening skills. I think, if I want to improve my listening skills I must watch more English films on TV, listening more English news on radio, talk through the Internet in English with foreigners. Also, I can speak in English with my friends. Moreover, I can read English books, newspapers etc. If I do though a little bit of these things, I think I will improve not only my listening but also speaking skills too!

No comments: